Marble House was built between 1888 and 1892 for Mr. and Mrs. William K. Vanderbilt, in Newport, Rhode Island. It was a summer house, or “cottage”, as Newporters called them, but Marble House was much more; it was a social and architectural landmark that set the pace for Newport’s subsequent transformation from a quiet summer colony of wooden houses to the legendary resort of opulent stone palaces. The house was designed by the architect Richard Morris Hunt, inspired by the Petit Trianon at Versailles. The cost of the house was reported in contemporary press accounts to be $11 million, of which $7 million was spent on 500,000 cubic feet of marble. Upon its completion, Mr. Vanderbilt gave the house to his wife as a 39th birthday present. In 2006, Marble House was designated a National Historic Landmark.